28 May 2006

 

Kanto: Part II

It has been about a week since my last entry; I got caught up in some shenanigans with some crazy Europeans and my art suffered for it. Anyway, since what I got up to this week does not merit further elaboration, I can continue with my own Tokyo Monogatari.
After leaving the shrine part of Yasukuni, we entered the museum which is where things got a bit more eerie. I admit that we didn't really make it past the main hall and the gift shop - time and money hindered our advance. Still, I left having seen enough to convince me that the place was basically the epicenter of the resurgence of Japanese nationalism. Not only were exhibits of fighter planes from the war, there was a locomotive from the Thai-Burma railroad with a description that glossed over much of the unpleasant facts about how the road was built and why the Japanese were there in the first place. Despite all of these signs of Japan's past history of militarism - the United States is no slouch when it comes to proudly displaying its past (mis) deeds - the gift store was what really struck me as creepy. The Kyokujitsuki - the flag that represented the Japanese Imperial Navy (and currently the Maritime Self-Defense Forces I do believe) with the red rays extending from the center orb is commonly seen as a symbol of Japanese imperialism was on display. I was to somewhat relieved when many of the students I was with could not read the kanji for the name of the flag. Further, there were books questioning the Rape of Nanking and other Japanese atrocities that have been documented by numerous sources. For a moment I was ready to buy some things to show people back in Kyoto, but decided against it as I did not want to be seen as showing my support for the museum by purchasing something.
From there, we made our way to the National Diet where we took a tour of the halls of government and met with two Kyoto representatives from the House of Councilors, both members of the Democratic Party of Japan. It was quite interesting the hear about their experiences in the Diet, and to hear their views on being the opposition party. Afterwards we toured the grounds of the capitol and posed for a photograph in front. It was not my intention to bring the "casual Friday" concept to Tokyo solo, but I guess it is sort of understood that people dress to impress for these sort of things and I did not get the memo.
Next, I will talk about the Japan Defense Agency Headquarters, war crimes trials, ritual suicides and trying not the get lost in Shibuya while intoxicated and having not slept in 30 hours. Posted by Picasa

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?